Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Trans Iowa Dread

I said that last year was the last year. I'd never do it again. But I wasn't able to make it last year. A little regret at having failed before, a little peer pressure, a little hope to just finish it and have it behind me. I'm going back to Trans Iowa.

The weather has been rainy (and snowy) the past week. There is no chance the roads will be in good shape. I was out sick for a day last week. A friend of mine thinks I have pneumonia. I haven't trained properly since March. I am riding a bike with less than 100 miles on it. I am giving up Easter weekend with family to be there.

I dread Trans Iowa. I don't look forward to seeing the people. I don't look forward to seeing the bikes. I just look forward to having it over and done. By Sunday afternoon it will be over for better or worse. Probably worse.

I don't want to do this race again next year. I hope I don't have to.

3 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

Matt, good luck. I will be checking online as you guys are pushing the limits on self induced sufferage.
I am not sure why 'we' prefer the pain of pushing ourselfs, over the mental angish that occurs when we don't.

mr. f. g. superman said...

Giddyup!

Anonymous said...

i will join you this weekend in a large helping of self pitty. deep down i really hate this race... i wish that just one year i could finish this damned event.

Lance A.