Tuesday, April 09, 2013

The plan.

Reading Maximum Climbing made me think more about the goals that I have and what it will take to reach them.  The big difference here is between dreams and goals.  I have been too much of a dreamer and not enough of a goal reacher in the past.  Dreams are things that you think about but don't do.  Goals are things you strive for.  If I have anything to thank competing in ultras for it is that realization. 

It's tough to announce these goals for fear that I won't reach them, but I know that with your badgering I'll be more motivated to achieve them.  With that in mind here are two goals that have been dreams for too long:
  • Ski the Iditarod Trail Invitational in 2015.  This is something I've thought about for a while and now realize is within my grasp.  It won't be easy and I'll have to overcome some bad races in the past year to get there, but I am confident I have the ability to do so.  Of course it isn't all in my power.  The race is an "invitational" after all.  I'm not guaranteed a spot, but I think I can convince the race directors.  
  • Finish college.  I will be going back to school this fall, part time for now at DMACC and then back to a four year institution.  I had been waiting for a sign from God that I was supposed to go back to school, but realized that wasn't going to happen.  It is time to shift the onus off God and onto myself.  It's going to be a lot of hard work and a big time commitment. 
Thanks in advance for the badgering.  

5 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

Go Matt, Go....

Mitch R. said...

You can easily do the ski gig. Never forget that you have finished the AHU in all three modes. Not many hard core guys can say that! Besides, you have 5-8 years before you hit your prime!

Matt Maxwell said...

I consider the ski race to be the easier (and cheaper) of the two goals. But both have similar aspects: confronting past failure, taking small steps every day, getting out of my comfort zone. All good things.

thejacobsons said...

You can do it Matt! Congrats on going back to school! It is also great to see your goal of the Iditarod! Good luck and let's get riding soon!

wildknits said...

Good for you fro putting the goals out there. Brave step.

School is a big challenge! As a "non-traditional student" during my last degree (and for a chunk of my previous degree) I found that I had a keen sense of why I was there - and the costs - so had a motivation that some of my younger classmates were lacking.