Saturday, April 29, 2006

Preliminary TransIowa Race Report

That was the toughest 63 miles I've ever ridden. Rainy, windy, and most especially muddy. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't manage to go farther, but I still think I did pretty well. Much to my surprise I stayed with the race leaders for the whole thing. Going in I said to myself, go your own pace, and I did. I just didn't realize that my own speed was up at the front. Most everyone dropped out by mile 63 at Sutherland, IA, but about five people went on. Last I knew two Canadians were the only ones left on the course. I think they were trying to make Algona, but much after the 6pm cutoff. It was a great race and I'll be back next year if at all possible. More to come, perhaps tomorrow.

Lastly if Mike who gave me a ride back to Ames has my Swag Bag in his van would he please contact me. It's not really a big deal, but I would like that Thompson seatpost. Just leave a comment on the blog. Thanks.

7 comments:

Simmons said...

Great job Matt! It was exciting to hear that you were right up there in that fast group. Very inspiring!

mr. f. g. superman said...

See, I thought you were Superman when I woke up this morning, thinking that you must be still out there with the leaders. Impressive!

Paul said...

Matt-

AWESOME JOB! You had a great day. What fun to be leading a group of guys such as Lalonde's, Paddy H. and others. Amazing. You are having a HUGE year Matt. Keep it up!

See you very soon I am sure!

Matt Maxwell said...

I really suprised myself when I found myself in that lead group. And even more so when I looked back and couldn't see anyone behind me. Today my mind says I should have gone farther, but my body says that I couldn't have.

Guitar Ted said...

Matt, you looked strong yesterday! Great ride! I hope you have many more. Don't be surprised by that showing, you are a as good as anyone else out there at this sort of event!

PaddyH said...

Matt,

I'm looking forward to riding with you(some more) in Kansas, tommorow I have a date with the doc to exorcize this demon in my chest...
then all thought(and energy) point South, too the D.K...

see ya in three weeks dude

Taugimba said...

Found the goody bag tucked under a seat. Sold it all for gas money! Great job on the ride.

Email me your address so I can get your stuff in the mail.
tausug at comcast.net